Welcome to the Website for the Westside Bridge Academy.
Worldwide Bridge Contest!
On Saturday, June 3rd at 1:00, WBA will participate in the 2017 World Wide Bridge Contest!
- This event will award 50/50 red and black at 81.8% sectional rating.
- Hand records and analyses will be provided.
- Top ACBL winners recognized on website and the Bridge Bulletin. It's the event played around the world!
- Join us for the Worldwide Bridge Contest sponsored by the World Bridge Federation.
- This international competition is scored across the world using the Internet to give an overall winner!
- Each participant receives an electronic souvenir booklet.
- The WBF will award prizes based on world matchpointing. The two top district winners by percentage receive bonus awards. Additional recognition comes from the WBF.
- The entry fee will be $12/person.
You can actually win money by playing in this event; see the details by clicking here. The top prize is $20,000!
The Longest Day!
WBA will be participating in The Longest Day on Wednesday, June 21st to raise money for Alzheimer’s research and treatment.
There will be six fund raisers this year:
- WBA will hold Open and 299r pair games at 9:00 and 1:30 and a Swiss Team game at 6:30. Entry fees will be $10, $8 of which will be donated to the Alzheimer’s Association. Lunch will be provided (sandwiches, chips, and cookies) between the morning and afternoon sessions for a voluntary donation so you can play both sessions without having to leave the Academy!
- Players can play with an expert in the pair games or a pair of experts in the Swiss on The Longest Day. A silent auction will be held for each session with an expert/pair of experts. Bid sheets are posted at WBA for each session/expert. Entry fees will be in addition to the amount pledged.
- Players can play with an expert at a time and place to be mutually arranged. A silent auction will be held for each session with an expert. Bid sheets are posted at WBA for each session with an expert. Entry fees will be in addition to the amount pledged.
- WBA is holding a raffle for 10 free plays. Raffle tickets can be purchased from the director for $5. Three winning tickets will be drawn.
- Naming rights for each of the sessions on The Longest Day are being sold for $500/session. We will advertise via the website, email and on Facebook so there is considerable exposure to be gained. If you want additional information or to purchase a session, please contact Bert Onstott at 713-851-1511.
- Between the afternoon and evening sessions, WBA will host an expert panel & dinner. Lasagna, salad, and bread from the Lasagna House will be served. Players can purchase a ticket for the panel discussion and the meal for $10, which goes to cover the cost of the meal. This is a great opportunity to ask how a hand should be bid, what's your favorite convention or just a funny bridge story. Avoid the traffic, have a nice meal & pick the expert's brain.
All funds received for items 2 through 5 will be donated to the Alzheimer’s Association.
If you would simply like to make a donation click here and then click on Donate..
Plan to play all three sessions to help us reach our goal of $10,000 in donations for this great cause!
Support Unit 174's Flight A GNT Team!
Unit 174's Flight A GNT team of Jimmy Breihan, Mike Doyle, Tony Haddad, and Daniel Jackson need your support to help pay for their trip to Toronto for the ACBL Nationals in July. Fundraising events have been scheduled by "Support Team Bridge," a Texas nonprofit corporation. One of the events is a special Unit Championship Game with extra points awarded, to be held on Saturday, June 17, 5 p.m.,at Westside Bridge Academy. The $20 entry includes dinner, and all proceeds will go to the team members.
Both Westside Bridge Academy and Bridge Club of Houston are supporting the fundraising efforts by selling raffle tickets for prizes at $10 each or $40 for 5. Drawings will be held at WBA on May 20 and June 17, and at BCoH on May 29 and July 4. Among the prizes are club game play with each of the team members. The Team is also available for the June and August sectional tournaments for a $500 donation. Prize information is posted at WBA and BCoH.
Help Support Team Bridge!
WBA hold it's next MiniBridge event on Sunday, June 11th.
Be sure to invite anyone who you think might be interested in learning to play. No partner is needed and it's free!
You can find all you need to know about Mini-Bridge by clicking here.
Call in reservations
Effective immediately the directors will no longer accept call in reservations for a N-S seating assignment unless the caller has a mobility issue that requires them to sit N-S.
If you have a mobility issue and need to be seated N-S we will of course honor that. To make it easier on the directors, we request that you call in 45 minutes or so prior to game time and ask to be seated N-S.
Otherwise, seating assignments will be done on a first-come, first-serve basis, so if you want a N-S, get there early!
We have had many complaints from those who show up 30 minutes prior to game time only to find that all the N-S tables for their strat have been taken by those who called in for a reservation.
The directors make a strong effort to spread out the A+, A, B, & C players so that one section or direction is not significantly stronger than another, since that makes the competition fairer for all. It is often difficult to do that and seat everyone in their preferred direction, so if you don't get the direction you prefer, realize that is the reason why.